Simple and easy traditional shortbread squares made with a combination of semolina and plain flour. Sprinkle with additional caster sugar for extra sweetness.
110g caster sugar
225g plain flour, sifted
110g fine semolina or cornmeal
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 25 mins
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
2. Lightly butter a 20cm (8 inch) square baking tin.
3. In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
4. Add plain flour and semolina and mix until combined.
5. Press the mixture into prepared baking tin and prick the shortbread all over with a fork.
(This will prevent it from rising up.)
6. Bake in the preheated oven until firm and pale golden brown on the edges, about 25 to 30 minutes.
7. Cool in the tin for a few minutes before marking it into squares or fingers.
8. Remove the squares when they have completely cooled.