This traditional Scottish dessert is quick and easy to put together, and the nutritious combination of cream, fromage frais, oats and fresh fruit makes a superb sweet course for a special occasion meal. The whisky not only adds a taste ofScotland, but gives a fantastic kick to the flavour.
5 tbsp porridge oats
150 ml whipping cream
150 g fromage frais
2 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp whisky
400 g raspberries
Prep: 35 mins
1. Preheat the grill to high.
2. Line the rack in the grill pan with foil and spread the oatmeal over the foil.
3. Toast under the grill for about 3 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the oatmeal is golden.
4. Set aside to cool for about 15 minutes.
5. Put the cream and fromage frais in a bowl and whip together until thick.
6. Stir in the honey and whisky, then fold in 4 tbsp of the toasted oatmeal.
7. Reserve a few raspberries for the decoration.
8. Layer the remaining raspberries with the cream mixture in 4 glass serving dishes, starting with
raspberries and ending with a layer of the cream mixture.
9. Decorate each dessert with a sprinkling of the remaining 1 tbsp toasted oatmeal and the reserved
Serve immediately (or keep in the fridge for up to 1 hour before serving).
Instead of raspberries, use other fresh fruit such as mixed berries, sliced peaches or nectarines, or a mixture of raspberries and peaches.
Replace the whisky with brandy, or with orange or apple juice.