If you love mince pies then here's a recipe you simply must have a go at. Simple to make and delicious to taste.
250 grams Sultanas golden
250 grams Glace Cherries cut in half
250 grams Raisins
100 grams Mixed Peel
250 grams Dark Muscovado Sugar
250 ml Amaretto Liqueur
1 tsp Cinnamon ground
1 tsp Nutmeg ground
1 tsp Mixed Spice
1 Orange zest, finely grated
1 Lemon zest, finely grated
450 grams Short crust pastry
250 grams Puff Pastry
1 grams Egg Yolk
3 tbsp Demerara Sugar
How to make Mince Pies
- In a large bowl put all the dry fruits and spices together and mix well
- In a small saucepan heat up the amaretto, sugar and zests until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and stir well. Spoon the mincemeat into a sterilised jar and leave to infuse for at least 48 hours before using.
- Roll out the short crust pastry and line tartlet cases and chill for 40 minutes.
- Fill them generously with the mincemeat.
- Roll out the puff pastry, brush with the egg yolk and sprinkle with Demerara sugar and cut using a star cutter.
- Place the stars on top of the mincemeat and place the mince pies on a baking tray and bake in preheated oven 180°C/ 160°C fan/ 350°F/ Mark 4 for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is cooked, golden and the stars have puffed up.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes
- Serve warm with toasted flaked almond, crème fraiche and a drizzle of amaretto