If you love sticky toffee pudding then here's a recipe you simply must try. This lighter version of a Christmas pudding is packed with figs dates and prunes to make a lovely fruity pud.
175 grams Figs
225 grams Dates
100 grams Prunes
100 ml Brandy
50 grams Wholemeal Self Raising Flour
125 grams Dark Muscovado Sugar
1 tsp Mixed Spice
175 grams Breadcrumbs
2 Eggs (beaten)
How to make Figgy Pudding
- Chop the figs, dates and prunes into pieces using kitchen scissors.
- Place in a bowl and pour over the brandy.
- Leave to soak overnight.
- The next day stir together the flour, sugar, spice, breadcrumbs, orange zest and juice and eggs until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a 1 litre/2 pint pudding bowl.
- Cut a double circle of baking parchment that is much larger than the pudding basin, make a pleat in the centre then place over the pudding basin and cover with a circle of pleated foil.
- Secure well with string, and loop a string handle over the top.
- Place a saucer in a large pan, add the pudding then pour in some boiling water until it covers three quarters of the way up the pudding.
- Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer four hours, topping up the water as necessary throughout.
- Remove from the pan when cooked.
- Turn the pudding out and serve with custard.