ClassicEtonmess is a quick, crowd-pleasing dessert when made with shop-bought meringue. It's also a great way to use up broken homemade meringue. ClassicallyEtonmess is made with whipped cream, meringue and strawberries, but you can add anything from a dash of port to a splash of ginger cordial for a twist, or try it with raspberries, bananas and pineapples.
- 500g/1lb 2oz strawberries, hulls removed
- 400ml/14fl oz double cream
- 3 x 7.5cm/3in ready-made meringue nests, crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger cordial
- sprigs of fresh mint, to garnish
- Purée half the strawberries in a blender. Chop the remaining strawberries, reserving four for decoration.
- Whip the double cream until stiff peaks form, then fold in the strawberry purée and crushed meringue. Fold in the chopped strawberries and ginger cordial.
- Spoon equal amounts of the mixture into four cold wine glasses. Serve garnished with the remaining strawberries and a sprig of mint.