Cock-a-Leekie, the classic Scottish soup that is slow cooked, wholesome and easy to make.
1 whole chicken with giblets
2 bay leaves
500g leeks, chopped, white and green parts separated
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prep: 30 mins Cook: 4 hours
1. Place the chicken, bay leaves, the green parts of the leeks and water in a large stock pot.
2. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer gently, covered, for 3 to 4 hours.
3. Remove chicken, giblets and bay leaves from the pot.
4. Skim fat from the surface of the stock.
5. Add rice, white part of the leeks, salt and pepper to the stock.
6. Simmer for 15 minutes, until rice is tender.
7. Meanwhile, shred desired amount of chicken meat and add to the pot.
8. Reserve any remaining chicken for another use.
9. Simmer a further 5 minutes to ensure the chicken is warmed through before serving.
Serve with fresh warm rolls.