Straight from the isles of Orkney, here's a traditional clapshot recipe for your Burns supper. Serve hot with oatcakes or haggis.
500g floury potatoes, peeled and cubed
500g yellow turnip, peeled and cubed
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbls chopped fresh chives
salt and pepper to taste
Prep: 20 mins Cook: 30 mins
1. Place the potatoes and turnip into a large pot and cover with water.
2. Put over high heat, bring to the boil and cook until soft.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1/2 the butter in a small frying pan over medium high heat and fry the onion until
soft and translucent.
4. Drain the potato and turnip when done, then add the remaining butter and the sautéed onions.
5. Mash till smooth and then stir in the chopped chives, salt and pepper.
Ready to serve with your haggis or oatcakes.