Christmas Cake With A Twist
250 grams Mixed Dried Fruit
150 ml Ginger Wine
250 grams Butter
225 grams Dark Muscovado
3 Eggs Medium sized
250 grams Self Raising Flour
1 tbsp Ground mixed spice
4 tbsp Apricot Glaze
500 grams Marzipan
3 Free Range Eggs Whites
1 tsp Glycerine
500 grams Golden Icing Sugar sifted
How to make Christmas Cake with a Twist
- Put the dried fruit into a bowl .
- Add the Ginger Wine and stir everything together.
- Cover with cling or place in a sealed container for up to a week.(you can use leave over night if pressed for time)
- Grease and line the base and sides of a 15cm (6in) cake tin.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / fan 160°C / gas 4.
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and cream together with a hand held mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs a little at a time, adding 2tbsp of flour to stop the mixture curdling.
- Sift in the remaining flour and mixed spice, then fold in.
- Put half the macerated fruit into a processor and whizz until it's smooth.
- Add to the flour with the rest of the fruit and boozy liquid.
- Fold everything together. Spoon into prepared tin, smoothing over the surface, leaving a slight dip in the surface.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours.
- Cool in the tin.
- Turn the cake onto serving plate or board and peel away the lining paper.
- Brush the top and sides of the cake with apricot glaze.
- Roll out the marzipan on a sheet of baking parchment to a 25cm / 10inch circle.
- Lift up the paper and upturn the marzipan, positioning it centrally.
- Peel away the paper, then gently press and smooth the marzipan around the top and sides of the cake with the palm of your hand.
- Trim off excess marzipan around the base of the cake.
- Put the egg whites into a large bowl and gradually beat in the icing sugar (with a wooden spoon or in a free standing electric mixer) until it¹s a stiff mixture.
- Add the glycerine.
- Use a palette knife to spread the icing over the top of the cake, smoothing and peaking.