Bubble and Squeak
In theory this should be made with leftover sprouts, and at any other time it is, but at Christmas we never seem to have enough left over, so we just cook some more. You can use cabbage as an alternative.
- 12 oz (350 g) Brussels sprouts, cooked
- 1 lb (450 g) potatoes
- 2 oz (50 g) butter
- 4 fl oz (100 ml) milk
- 1 tablespoon turkey dripping or butter
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
You will also need a medium sized, heavy frying pan
- Cook the potatoes, then mash them with the butter and milk.
- Chop the sprouts quite finely and combine them with the mashed potato, seasoning well.
- Now take a medium frying pan and melt the turkey dripping in it over a high heat.
- When it’s really hot, pile in the potato mixture, using a palette knife to spread it all over the base of the pan and patting it down quite firmly.
- Then turn the heat down to medium. What you’re aiming at here is a lovely crisp golden crust, which will take about 7 minutes on the first side.
- Then, place a plate on top of the frying pan and, using a cloth to protect your hand, invert it, turning the pan over so the bubble-and-squeak settles on the plate.
- Now put the pan back on the heat and use a palette knife to slide and gently ease the mixture back into the pan to brown on the other side for about 5 minutes.
Serve the bubble-and-squeak cut into thick wedges with cold cuts, chutney and pickles. You can also add a little cooked bacon to the mixture and this makes a great supper.